Monday, January 26, 2009

End of an Era

Barack Obama overturned the Global Gag Rule--I feel like crying.

The Global Gag Rule, which was reinstated by President Bush on his first day in office, prohibits any international organization that receives U.S. funds from counseling women on abortion as an option, providing referrals, or discussing the dangers of unsafe abortions - even if the organization uses its own money to do so. The impact of the mandate has been deadly for women worldwide. About 70,000 women die every year from unsafe or illegal abortions - a number that could be significantly lowered by access to information and sexual health care.

1 comment:

Theodora said...

How did something like this even exist? I cannot comprehend that. How sad. :-(
And in regards to your previous post, I thought I would just comment here.
I personally, would classify myself as a strong Christian and follower of Jesus, and yet I am pro-choice. I think it is possible to be both.
I think when people say "pro-choice" some automatically means I think that abortion should happen all the time, and that it is good and right in any circumstance. That is SO far from the truth, and from working at the pregnancy center I have seen how abortion has hurt people. I personally, do not think abortion is right-from a religious standpoint, nor do I think it is good for a woman. However, I do not think it is any government's job to take away the right for a woman to have one. So, I am "pro-choice" but I am FOR life and the best for women.
That might sound like a paradox, but I hope you get it.
Regardless, I believe it is more than possible to be a Christian and have a unique world view based on social justice and rights for people.